Letter to the past: Tips for my starting producer self
1. EQ out all the parts you can’t hear very well in the total mix, and the remaining bits will be easier to work with.
2. Finish your ideas to the best of your ability. Render them to individual loops, and move forward rather than getting stuck in loopitis.
3. Organize your files better. Not by where they came from, but what they are, so when you’re looking for kicks you can goto one directory, not bounce around randomly. Although this may have worked in my favour for creativity.
4. You’re allowed to copy, you don’t have a music teacher, imitation is an easy form of learning.
5. Record your voice and jamming more. Even if you think it sucks, you’ll want it to sample later.
6. You’re gonna have fun. No need to worry if it’s worth all this time to do.